Don't get me wrong, I think puppies are really lovable and cute. I love all dogs but when a grey or white muzzle does the same thing as a puppy, I'm over the moon with joy. That huge happy grin my old blind dog makes when she navigates successfully to another room, kills me every time. She tries to play tag but misses by a mile, and I love her more.
Her energy level is also just right. My old dog doesn't wiggle out of my cuddles like a puppy would. Sure she has her time limit for affection, but today we're talking minutes rather than seconds. Spend a little time with a senior dog like Cleo, and I bet you can add to this list of five things an old dog does better than a puppy [...]
Five things an old dog does better than a puppy
- When you least expect it, burp in your face.
- Sit thisclose to you when you need them the most.
- Know when it's one of those mornings, and settles back in to sleep late, before you have to ask.
- Falls into a quick REM nap while you're brushing them, and quietly toots.
- Gives you that face, close enough so you can smell their breath, that says I LOVE YOU MORE THAN ANYTHING IN THE WHOLE WORLD RIGHT NOW WITH ALL OF MY HEART, and you believe them.
I'm not alone in my preference for senior dogs am I? What would you add to this list? Share in the comments!
Enjoy our stories? Don't miss out on anything, get the Grouchy Puppy blog delivered by email. Sign up here!